In early 1993 a few people discussed the possibility of forming a club for four wheel driving enthusiasts. To gauge interest in the idea, a meeting was called at which a steering committee of interested people, from all over the Riverland, was formed. The steering committee worked tirelessly to look into the legalities of forming a fully constituted club and gathered many ideas of how the club could operate and promote safe four wheel driving.
In June 1993 the Riverland 4WD Club Inc. was formed with committee representatives from the five main Riverland towns, and approximately 35 vehicle members from across the Riverland. Today vehicle members have now grown in number to approximately 75-80. The Club abides strictly by a “Code of Ethics” and is affiliated with the South Australian Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs Inc.
In order for the club to remain regional, regular monthly meetings are held in or near the five main Riverland towns on a rotational basis. Club committee meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month, and general meetings are held on the second Tuesday of the month, beginning at 7.30pm. Meetings and location are advertised on radio and printed in the club newsletter prior to each meeting. Meetings usually have a guest speaker or some feature.
Features and Activities of the Club
The Riverland 4WD Club Inc. encourages and promotes family orientated recreational activities to a variety of locations while promoting safe four wheel driving. The club has a strong commitment to the conservation of the natural environment and enjoys participation in events designed to preserve special features. Families are encouraged to attend monthly meetings and participate in driver training and other club activities. A wide variety of events are held throughout the year, including day, weekend, long weekend and longer trips to all parts of Australia.
Benefits of Club Membership
- Tips on equipment and touring information
- Access to Club library of maps and videos.
- Monthly newsletter for club news and information.
- Participation in social, 4WD and conservation activities.
- Opportunity to share four wheel driving knowledge and experience with other enthusiasts.
- Driver training and safety procedures.
- Family participation in Club activities.
- Information on interstate access to Parks and current state of legislation regarding access in local Parks.
- Cover by Public Liability Insurance.